Monday, July 28, 2008

Finally in Pittsburgh but definitely not settled!

Well, this is our 3rd day in Pittsburgh - takes some getting used to. California, it is not! It's hot but not unbearable and the humidity hasn't been bad. The people out here drive crazy! If anyone thought California was bad - this is worse! The streets are super narrow and lots of one way streets make it confusing to get around. Our house is interesting - built on the side of a hill on the downslope so you enter through the kitchen into the living room and then down the stairs to the bedrooms. None of the floors are even - they slope, dip, etc but it seems to be status quo with most of the homes around here along with the streets - it's an old city not built to modern expectations. The house does have a lot of room which is nice and the landlord is great - very nice and willing to help make the house comfortable for his "California" residents. We needed more air conditioning and today are having 3 installed!
There are a lot of stairs and my knees are having a hard time getting used to it but I try to limit my trips up and down - I make piles by the stairway of things that need to either go upstairs or downstairs and then don't make the trip unless I absolutley have to - it seems to be working out so far.

We are getting familiar with some of the restaurants around here since we didn't have a working refrigerator until yesterday and still don't have any of our kitchen stuff or furniture. We found a good pizza place down the street but they don't use fresh mushrooms here - only canned - YUCK! I haven't had my Pittsburgh Sandwich yet - just too hot to even think about eating some of the foods here -it's not easy to find healthy options. However, I did have a Cheesesteak at Miguel's request - I supposedly ordered it the original way with Cheez Whiz (all my dietitian friends are cringing right now!) and grilled onions.
For this pic, Miguel put all the food in front of me - rest assured I didn't eat all of that - the heat really plays a role in your appetite - with all the crap we've eaten, I have managed to lose a little weight - portion control!

I've investigated the gyms and it is a sorry sight! I can't believe how expensive they are and they have so little equipment. Today my plan is to join up and try to get back in the swing of things with my workouts - it's gonna be tough because sleeping on an air mattress is taking it's toll on my back!

Well, that's about it for now - as soon as our furniture arrives, I'll have the opportunity to download some pictures.

No comments: