Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Adventures in the 'Burgh (better than calling it the Pitts right?)

So last weekend we did a few new things that were kinda fun - not California fun by any means - but fun nonetheless. Our first big adventure - and my biggest accomplishment thus far - was getting Miguel to agree to go for a walk in the morning across the Hot Metal Bridge. I know you all saw my pictures from that a few posts ago but here is one of Miguel on the bridge - the sun wasn't in full force just yet but it was a gorgeous morning.Saturday night, rather than stay home and watch more cable, we ventured to Station Square, supposedly a "hot spot" on the South Side. Picture the scene of Third Street Promenade or Universal City Walk in LA and then decrease the size by 3 and take away all the interesting shops - now you know what Station Square is like. Oh yes and about all you are left with is some chain type restaurants (the obligatory Hard Rock Cafe), a fountain that WISHES it could rival the one at the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas and some Mom & Pop gift shops - believe me in Pittsburgh you are never more than 10 feet away from a store selling Steelers paraphernalia.



This is the fountain I was talking about - the water "supposedly" moves along to the music. And when I say music, I'm not talking about good music, we are talking about the likes of Shania Twain and Keith Urban - YIKES! Plus the water only moves up and down not side to side like the Bellagio.





Let me back up a little bit, when we got to Station Square, our intention was to take a one hour tour boat ride, but as luck would have it, they had closed down for the night. However, they did have a pretty neat little area to walk down that gave a little history of Pittsburgh and a great view of the city from the shore of the river.







The other thing that was pretty funny was that right near the dock, there are schools of carp and the beg for food! Whenever they see "tourists", they come up close to the dock and open their mouths up to the surface of the water. It was a little bit dark so we didn't get great pictures of them but I tried so here is what I can share with you.












These are pictures of the walkway to the Clipper Fleet with the timeline painted along the walls.

Okay - so I think I have exhausted the room for this post so I'm going to continue with a new post for our outings on Sunday.

No comments: