Sunday, August 3, 2008

Our First week in Pitt

We finally have settled into Pittsburgh. All of our furniture was delivered on Wednesday which was an adventure. The doorways are so small that we had to take the door off the hinges and the feet off some of the furniture to fit it into the house. The movers brought all of our things in an 18-wheeler and if you know anything about Pittsburgh, you know the streets are narrow and often times steep. The truck barely fit on the street in front of the house which also has a bus line that runs along it. A traffic cop came by and warned them to make it snappy. We had to direct traffic, as we live on a hill with a curve, so people coming up had a hard time seeing the people coming down. It was an interesting but successful day. Spent most of Wed/Thurs/Fri unpacking. Miguel started work so he wasn't around much during the day.


Saturday morning, I decided it was time to explore my 'hood a little bit. Pittsburgh has 3 rivers that run through it and meet in the middle. The river running by our house is called the Monongahela and there are a number of bridges that cross it - the one closest to us is called the Hot Metal Bridge and it has a walking path. There is also a great biking/walking/running trail that runs along the river. So, I decided to walk across the bridge. I must say living in California, I never would have opted to walk across any bridge due to my fear of an earthquake happening while I was on it - silly I know but that's me!


Anyhow, it was a beautiful morning - sunny with a slight breeze and the walk was very nice - here are the pictures I took to share with you.





Okay so I was alone and had to take pictures of myself but here I am starting up the bridge - it was about 8:30 a.m.



This is the view looking toward the east - not much on that side - the west view is where the city is.
This is the East View from the bridge where you can see downtown - the tallest building you see in the middle is a UPMC facility.

This is the view walking back over the bridge - the large eagle ahead is the American Eagle Outfitters headquarters which is located on the southside.

This is a steel tree outside the American Eagle building.

This is the path along the river - once you come off the bridge, you can pick up the path and go about 10 miles round trip. The path goes right by the UPMC Sports clinic and the Steeler practice fields.

This is the UPMC Sports Clinic where Miguel will be working regularly but he'll still have to travel to some games and things along with other clinics.

Well, that's it for now. Today we may venture over to the Strip District so hopefully I'll have some good pictures to show you all later!

Paula

No comments: