Thursday, September 18, 2008

New York Trip September 2008

Well, it took me a while but I am finally getting around to posting all the wonderful details of my trip to New York. I'll try to keep the dialogue brief cause I've got LOTS of pics - mostly of food of course! I went to New York to visit my dear friend, Heidi! Here she is:

We had a list of plans and things I wanted to do while I was in New York so when I arrived on Wednesday night, we made our plans for the following days. My flight was delayed almost 2 hours into JFK so what was going to be a night out to dinner and maybe a little walking became a very tired, couple of girls looking for some food in the city at 10 o'clock at night. We managed to find a saloon open close by Heidi's place and satisfied our hunger and did a lot of catching up. I saw an issue of New York Magazine on Heidi's coffee table later that night, the cover story: Cheap Eats in New York. And there you have it: our first day of plans in New York! The plan was to get up and walk the city while trying the best, delectable foods in New York - little bits for small prices while walking off all the calories - what could be better?!

Well, the best laid plans as they say. We ended up not even getting out of our pj's until noon the next day and didn't hit the streets until about 2:30 but we stuck to our guns. Our first stop in Chinatown for some dumplings:



YUM!



We split all this for just about $5.00 and we weren't the only ones craving one of the city's best dumplings:

Next stop - a great fish taco - I needed by Mexican fix since we have NO GOOD MEXICAN food in Pittsburgh. These fish tacos were amazing! We each had one and a nice, cold beer - it was smoldering hot and humid outside that day and by the time we got to the tacos it was almost 4 o'clock!



Heidi eating her taco:


Me enjoying mine!


Almost on overload after this, we settled for the next course of dessert! There is this phenomenon in New York of "gourmet" food trucks parked in various spaces throughout the city. We found one that sold artisan, gourmet ice cream and it was worth the trip!

It was pistachio for me and a mix of strawberry and vanilla for Heidi. After that we threw in the towel and went home for a rest before setting out on the town for the evening.

No comments: